The Legality of Dream11 in India
Dream11 takes great care to comply with all central and state legislation in India to ensure that our users are fully protected. All contests on our platform are carefully designed to comply with applicable statutes and regulations in India.
Below are the key points from a High Court’s judgement regarding the Dream11 game:
- The Court, in its ruling, stated that playing the Dream11 game involves considerable skill, judgement and discretion and that success on Dream11 arises out of users’ exercise, superior knowledge, judgment and attention
- The Court also held that ‘the element of skill’ had a predominant influence on the outcome of the Dream11 game, which follows the following format:
- Participants have to choose a team consisting of at least the same no. of players as playing in a real-life sports team (e.g. 5 in basketball, 7 in kabaddi and 11 in cricket/football)
- All contests are run for at least the duration of one full sports match
- No team changes are allowed by participants after the start of the sports match
On this basis, the Court adjudged that playing on Dream11 constitutes a ‘game of mere skill’, which makes the Dream11 game exempt from the provisions of the Public Gambling Act, 1867 (PGA)
- Finally, the Court held that the Dream11 game is not a gambling activity and is a legitimate business activity protected under Article 19(1)(g) of the Constitution of India
For more information on the legality of Dream11 and Fantasy Sports, visit IFSG (Indian Federation of Sports Gaming) on www.ifsg.in. IFSG is India's first and only Sports Gaming industry body formed to protect user interests and regulate Sports Game operators.