What To Watch Out For In Delhi Vs Mumbai IPL 2022?
Table of Contents:
- Past IPL performance of Mumbai Indians vs Delhi Capitals
- Head-to-head performance at home and away till IPL 2021
- Retained players in each team
- Top retained batters and their performance in head-to-head matches till 2021
- Top retained bowlers and their performance in head-to-head matches till 2021
Mumbai Delhi IPL matches have shared an exciting rivalry over the years. The Delhi franchise was earlier called the 'Delhi Daredevils' until 2019. They later rechristened themselves as 'Delhi Capitals' in 2019. They have made it to the IPL playoffs every time since then. Delhi played their first IPL final in 2020. Interestingly, they lost out to Mumbai Indians in that contest. For all their consistency, an IPL title has eluded the Delhi side so far.
Want to join the action for TATA IPL League? Play on Dream11 and make your IPL fantasy cricket
Mumbai Indians are undoubtedly the most successful IPL team. They have won five IPL titles. For all their star power, Mumbai managed to win their first title only in 2013 at the 6th IPL season. They went on to win four more in the next seven seasons. Mumbai's last IPL final win came over the Delhi Capitals in 2020. They failed to make it to the playoffs in IPL 2021.
Mumbai vs. Delhi has always remained a marquee clash for fans. The two sides have always played out engaging duels. Players like Lasith Malinga and Virender Sehwag have single-handedly won games for their sides. This decade-old rivalry has played out in different phases. The upcoming cycle promises nothing less. It will be fascinating to see how the Mumbai vs. Delhi Fantasy Cricket match battle plays out in the future.
Past IPL performance of Delhi Capitals versus Mumbai Indians
The first-ever game between the two sides resulted in Mumbai posting a comfortable victory. Shaun Pollock made an exemplary all-around contribution, scoring a crucial 15 ball-33 and bowling an economical spell of 4-0-16-2. Mumbai won the game by 29 runs, defending a par score of 163. The return leg of the contest saw Delhi defeating Mumbai. Delhi posted a 5-wicket win with a ball to spare, chasing a score of 179.
The Delhi Daredevils were the side to beat in 2009 IPL. They comfortably won both their games against Mumbai that season. Delhi won both their matches by chasing the target quite comfortably. 2010 saw fortunes being reversed, with Mumbai completing a sweep over Delhi. They outplayed Delhi, winning both their games with a margin of 98 runs and 39 runs.
The pattern pretty much remained the same in 2011, too, with Mumbai winning both the games against Delhi. They won both games convincingly with victory margins of 8 wickets and 32 runs. Delhi roared back strongly in 2012, winning both their games over Mumbai.
Mumbai posted a score of 209 against Delhi in their first encounter for that season. They successfully defended the score, winning the game by 44 runs. Delhi won the return leg by nine wickets, with Virender Sehwag playing an exceptional knock scoring 95 not out. In 2014, Delhi beat Mumbai in their first meeting by six wickets. Mumbai won the return leg by 15 runs. This was just the second instance of a close contest between the two sides.
Delhi won the first outing against Mumbai in 2015 with a margin of 37 runs. Mumbai got back at Delhi, winning the return leg by 5 wickets. The 2016 season saw sides batting first win both the games in their duels. Delhi won the first leg by 10 runs, while Mumbai mauled Delhi in the return leg with a margin of 80 runs. This game gave the early indications of Krunal Pandya, who had smashed a 37 ball-86.
In 2017, Mumbai was the better side of the two. They won both their games, batting first with a winning margin of 14 runs and 146 runs, respectively. Despite Delhi being a young side in 2018, they defeated Mumbai twice that season. They even completed a hat trick of wins over Mumbai with a win in 2019 when Rishabh Pant took on Mumbai's bowlers at their den. Mumbai made a comeback defeating Delhi in the return leg of 2019.
Delhi had an excellent start to the 2020 season. They were dominating oppositions in every game. But they strangely fell short every time they came up against Mumbai. Delhi lost both their league games to Mumbai. Defending champions Mumbai then defeated Delhi both in the first qualifier and then later in the finals. Mumbai thereby completed a 5-match winning streak over Delhi.
Delhi successfully overturned the tables in 2021, winning both their games against Mumbai. They smartly chased down tricky totals on both occasions, ensuring a clean slate against Mumbai that season.
Head To Head Performance At Home and Away Till IPL 2021: MI vs DC scorecard
At the end of 14 seasons, Delhi and Mumbai have played each other a total of 30 times. Mumbai has a slight upper hand winning 16, while Delhi has won 14 of these games.
Mumbai: [MI vs DC]
- Home Record: [Played: 17, Wins-12, Loss-5]
- Away Record: [Played: 13, Wins-4,Loss-9]
Delhi: [DC vs MI]
- Home Record: [Played: 14, Wins-9, Loss-5]
- Away Record: [Played: 16, Wins-7,Loss-9]
Retained players in each team:
Mumbai and Delhi both retained all the four players they could.
Players retained by Mumbai Indians:
- Rohit Sharma (INR 16 crores)
- Jasprit Bumrah (INR 12 crores)
- Suryakumar Yadav (INR 8 crores)
- Kieron Pollard (INR 6 crores)
Players retained by Delhi Capitals:
- Rishabh Pant (INR 16 crores)
- Axar Patel (INR 9 crores)
- Prithvi Shaw (INR 7.5 crores)
- Anrich Nortje (INR 6.5 crores)
Top retained batters and their performance in MI vs DC matches till 2021:
- Rohit Sharma (Mumbai)-869 runs | Highest score-74* | Fifties-5 | Centuries-0
- Kieron Pollard (Mumbai)-360 runs | Highest score-63* | Fifties-1 | Centuries-0
- Suryakumar Yadav (Mumbai)-352 runs | Highest score-53 | Fifties-3 | Centuries-0
- Rishabh Pant (Delhi)-332 runs | Highest score-78* | Fifties-3 | Centuries-0
Top retained bowlers and their performance in MI vs DC matches till 2021:
- Jasprit Bumrah (Mumbai): 20 wickets | Best Bowling: 4-14 | 4-wicket haul: 1 | Economy Rate: 7.36
- Axar Patel (Delhi): 12 wickets | Best Bowling: 2-22 | 4-wicket haul: 0 | Economy Rate: 7.47
- Kieron Pollard (Mumbai): 7 wickets | Best Bowling: 2-24 | 4-wicket haul: 0 | Economy Rate: 8.40
- Anrich Nortje (Delhi): 5 wickets | Best Bowling: 2-25 | 4-wicket haul: 0 | Economy Rate: 8.65
To know more on TATA IPL fantasy cricket playing11, match previews, predictions, etc., stay tuned on Dream11
Indian T20 Fantasy Premier League