MUMBAI INDIANS VS RAJASTHAN ROYALS ( WHAT TO WATCH OUT FOR IN IPL 2022)
On the one hand, the Mumbai Indians are the most successful team in the Indian T20 Premier League history, having won five titles. On the other hand, Rajasthan Royals have underperformed in every season except the one in which they won the title. Mumbai appeared to be a much more balanced team in 2021, with proven match-winners like the Pandya brothers, Jasprit Bumrah, Lasith Malinga, Keiron Pollard, and Rohit Sharma leading from the front. With some shrewd additions like David Miller, Andrew Tye, and Oshane Thomas among the 12 new players they signed, Rajasthan looked like a competitive side as well.
Want to join the action for TATA IPL League? Play on Dream11 and make your IPL fantasy cricket
The Mumbai Indians are, without a doubt, the most dominant team in the IPL right now. In both the 2019 and 2020 seasons, they were champions. One of the biggest reasons for the team's regular performance in the tournament is that they have kept their core players.
The franchise from Rajasthan was keen to win their second title, which their fans had been waiting for 12 years. The franchise from Mumbai aimed to break the curse of not defending the title even once. While the franchise from Mumbai was trying to break the jinx of not defending the title even once, they failed and couldn’t qualify. Rajasthan's key players, such as Steven Smith, Ben Stokes, and Sanju Samson, needed to elevate their game. Despite their dominance against most opponents, MI vs RR has witnessed an even record, with both sides winning 11 and 12 games, respectively. This alone indicates how closely the matches are contested, as no side will give up an opportunity to take the lead. This time in 2022, it should be a fascinating match-up as well.
MI vs RR Head to Head
In terms of their IPL head-to-head record, the Mumbai Indians are just a smidgeon ahead of the Rajasthan Royals. Rajasthan has won 11 of the 24 games, while Mumbai has won 12 of them. On the other hand, Rajasthan has won five of the seven matches against Mumbai since 2018. RR won all four games they played against MI in the league stage of the IPL in 2018 and 2019. The IPL 2014 match between these teams, in which Aditya Tare smashed a six to ensure his team's playoff berth, is still remembered by Fantasy Cricket fans.
Top Performers in Batting – Mumbai vs. Rajasthan Matches
During the Mumbai vs. Rajasthan Indian T20 Premier League matches, the best batsmen are:
- Sanju Samson (527 runs)
- Kieron Pollard (373 runs)
- Rohit Sharma (371 runs)
Highest individual scores
- MI (vs. RR) - 95* by Corey Anderson at Mumbai on 25th May 2014
- RR (vs. MI) - 107* by Ben Stokes at Abu Dhabi on 25th October 2020
Sanju Samson has been a constant concern for Mumbai in the batting department, as he has been the most consistent performance from the Rajasthan team against them. Therefore, he should be a top pick based on his current form.
Top Performers in Bowling – Mumbai vs. Rajasthan Matches
The players with the most wickets and the best economy rates in the bowling department are:
- Kieron Pollard (15
- Jofra Archer (12
- Jasprit Bumrah (12)
Best bowling figures
- MI (vs RR) - 4/20 by Jasprit Bumrah at Abu Dhabi on 6th October 2020
- RR (vs. MI) - 4/14 by Sohail Tanvir at Jaipur on 26th May 2008
Keiron Pollard has been a standout batsman and bowler for Mumbai against Rajasthan, so he should be a strong contender.
Last match result between Mumbai Indians and Rajasthan Royals
The two teams last met in the maiden edition of the IPL in 2021, which took place at the Arun Jaitley Stadium in Delhi. While batting first, the Men in Pink put on a strong performance, scoring 171/4 in their allotted 20 overs. While Jos Buttler and captain Sanju Samson scored over 40 runs, Yashasvi Jaiswal and Shivam Dube also contributed with useful innings.
The five-time champions lost skipper Rohit Sharma and Suryakumar Yadav cheaply while chasing the difficult target. Quinton de Kock, on the other hand, held one end and struck an undefeated 70. MI crossed the finish line in 18.3 overs, winning by seven wickets. Krunal Pandya contributed 39 runs.
Target IPL 2022
Because the IPL Governing Council allows each franchise to keep a maximum of four players, most clubs took advantage of this provision to keep their top players longer before the mega IPL auction 2022.
Retained players by MI:
Rohit Sharma, Jasprit Bumrah, Kieron Pollard , and Suryakumar Yadav.
- It was a toss-up between Suryakumar and wicketkeeper-batter Ishan Kishan, as both were key players in their back-to-back championships in 2019 and 2020.
- The squad had to let the Jharkhand player go, but they will make every effort to buy him in the auction. The Pandya brothers were also released by the Mumbai Indians, and reports claimed that they would be recruited by the new entry-level Ahmedabad franchise, which CVC Capital purchased. For the IPL auction, the Mumbai Indians had a purse of Rs 48 crore.
Retained players by RR: Sanju Samson, Jos Buttler, and Yashasvi Jaiswal for IPL 2022.
- Because of the uncertainty surrounding their injuries, the inaugural IPL champions have left out prominent players like Ben Stokes and Jofra Archer. As a result, when it comes to the IPL 2022 auction, the Royals will have a purse of INR 62 crore.
- Rajasthan hasn't won the IPL since the inaugural edition in 2008, and Director of Cricket Kumar Sangakkara will design an auction strategy to produce a balanced lineup.
IPL 2022 Auction: 5 Players Mumbai Indians (MI) Can Target
- Ishan Kishan
- Johnny Bairstow
- Rahul Tripathi
- Awesh Khan
- Rashid Khan
IPL 2022 Auction: 5 Players Rajasthan Royals (RR) Can Target
- Evin Lewis
- R. Ashwin
- Mahipal Lomror
- Deepak Chahar
- Kartik Tyagi
To know more on TATA IPL fantasy cricket playing11, match previews, predictions, etc., stay tuned on Dream11
Indian T20 Fantasy Premier League