Kolkata vs Bangalore: What to Watch Out For in IPL 2022
One of the most eagerly awaited rivalries seen during the Indian Premier League (IPL) is Kolkata Knight Riders vs Royal Challengers Bangalore. What’s very interesting to note is that neither of these two sides has been able to win the IPL trophy.
Want to join the action for TATA IPL League? Play on Dream11 and make your IPL fantasy cricket
Past Performances- Kolkata Knight Riders vs Royal Challengers Bangalore
In terms of KKR vs RCB head to head wins, KKR has beaten RCB 15 times thus far. Compared to this, the Virat Kohli-led side has managed to win only 13 times. A total of three matches were played head to head in 2021, and KKR was able to win two of these. The second KKR vs RCB IPL match in 2021 turned out to be a very easy win for KKR, with the team needing just 93 runs to win in Abu Dhabi. KKR chased down RCB’s score of 92 in just 10 overs (most significant win in terms of balls to spare).
Incidentally, KKR has also defeated RCB with the largest run margin. The first IPL match was played in 2008 between these franchises. RCB was bundled out for just 82 runs in this match.
In KKR vs RCB matches, both teams are neck-and-neck in terms of wins since their first match in 2008. Out of the 13 seasons played before 2021, KKR has been able to win all matches across 5 of these. Similarly, RCB was able to win 4 complete seasons.
The selection of KKR vs RCB playing 11 for Fantasy Cricket will be dependent on various factors such as ground, wicket conditions, and weather conditions.
Some of the KKR vs RCB IPL records are as follows:
- Before 92, RCB’s lowest score against KKR was 49 in 2017, which happens to be the KKR vs RCB lowest score
- Dinesh Karthik has taken 115 catches as a wicketkeeper for KKR, which is the 2nd highest in IPL after MS Dhoni.
- Brendon McCullum, the first captain of KKR, scored 158 off 73 balls in 2008. This is the second-highest score in IPL to date.
- Against the Kolkata-based franchise, RCB captain Virat Kohli has amassed 735 runs. He is the most prolific scorer for RCB so far.
- Along with Virat Kohli, AB De Villiers has been the only mainstay of RCB’s batting. He scored 133* against Mumbai in 2015, which is the 3rd highest individual IPL score. From KKR, Piyush Chawla has dismissed him the most (4 out of 10). Sunil Narine has got De Villers out 3 times in 9 innings.
- The IPL has given rise to muscular hitters, especially when it comes to six-hitting ability. West Indian all-rounder Andre Russell, who plays for KKR, is particularly noteworthy here. Against RCB, he has scored 323 runs in 9 matches, averaging 53.83. His batting strike rate is 227.46, and this is the only strike rate above 200 against RCB. He has managed to hit a phenomenal 32 sixes and 20 fours, with this six tally being the highest for KKR.
- Amongst the KKR team, RCB also needs to be wary of destructive opener Chris Lynn. He has scored 220 runs across 6 IPL innings, averaging 44 runs per innings. His scores have been 43, 62*, 5, 50, 15, and 45.
KKR at Home
- Their longest stretch without wins at Eden Gardens came in 2014 when they lost four matches in a row.
- Since 2017, they have won all five matches against RCB.
- Chris Lynn has an average of 44 against RCB at Eden Gardens, scoring two half-centuries across six innings.
- Robin Uthappa, who has played for KKR for a long time but not at present, is one of nine players with more than 500 runs against RCB.
- At Eden Gardens, the Kolkata Knight Riders have won 11 consecutive chases. Their most recent defeat batting second in Kolkata occurred in 2012. (vs Mumbai Indians).
- Against different teams at the home ground (Eden Gardens, Kolkata), opener Chris Lynn has scored 428 runs in 13 T20 innings, averaging 32.92.
KKR at Home
- Dale Steyn completed 200 matches for RCB in 2021
- Virat Kohli has scored 574 against KKR, which is the 6th highest individual total for any player.
- For his previous 4 innings before the 2019 season, AB De Villiers held an average of 71.3.
- Both franchises have scored a total of 14 half-centuries at the M Chinnaswamy stadium. Considering the small size of the ground, the result of the KKR vs RCB toss is of critical importance. Virat Kohli has always been a chase master, and his expertise is bound to be useful at Chinnaswamy.
- The surface at RCB's home venue, M Chinnaswamy Stadium, is blamed for the bowlers' lackluster performance. The M Chinnaswamy has the worst economy rate of all the venues where more than 15 IPL matches have been played — 8.6. The average score in the first inning is likewise a high 169.
- 4/18 by Lakshmipathy Balaji in IPL 2012 is a player's most extraordinary bowling performance in matches between these two franchises at Chinnaswamy.
- Chris Gayle has won the most Man of the Match awards for RCB at home.
- Gautam Gambhir's 23 fours are the most by a player in matches between these two sides at this ground.
KKR Away From Home
- In 2018 and 2019, KKR won a match each against RCB at the latter’s home venue.
- They have won against RCB away from home in 2008, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, and 2019.
RCB Away from Home
- In 2009 when the IPL was held in South Africa, RCB won two matches against KKR.
- In 2010 and 2011, they won matches at home and in the Eden Gardens.
- In 2015, they won a match at Eden and the M Chinnaswamy stadium
Retained Players for Both Teams
Sunil Narine of KKR has returned with a four-wicket haul on six occasions in his IPL career thus far. With 112 wickets in 98 matches, he is also the tournament's eighth highest wicket-taker. The Trinidad southpaw has also developed an attacking style of batsmanship over the years, prompting the management to send him at the top of the batting order. In 2017, he decimated the KKR attack by scoring 54 off just 17 balls, allowing them to beat RCB.
His six-hitting ability and contribution with the ball are what make him a potential match-winner. Russell has amassed 216 runs from eight matches at a strike rate of 229.79 in the death (16-20) versus RCB across seasons.
Varun Chakravarthy was the match's star performer for KKR, returning figures of 4-0-13-3 in 2021.
This batting all-rounder has played a total of 10 matches in IPL 2021 with an average of 41.11. He has bowled in 4 matches, claiming 3 wickets at an average of 23. Venkatesh Iyer has the potential not just to anchor an innings but also come as a pinch hitter.
His tremendous batting skills are visible in his records. Coupled with astute captaincy skills honed over time, he is now a highly sought-after player. In his first innings, Kohli has hit 59 fours and 22 sixes against the Kolkata Knight Riders. Additionally, he has a ton and four fifties against them. Kohli's highest 100-point performance against KKR came in 2021.
Nicknamed the ‘Big Show,’ Glen is known for his ability to play extravagant shots and not allow bowlers to settle. He has proved as a match-winner over the years, and RCB hopes he will continue to do so, even as a spin bowler. Against KKR, he has made 339 runs in 15 matches, with a fantastic strike rate of 151.34. His record against Harbhajan Singh from KKR has been awe-inspiring.
As a pace bowler, he has always been seen as giving his 200%. He can trouble plenty of batters with his skiddy pace.
If selected, this southpaw would be vital to giving RCB a flying start in every match.
Robin Uthappa is one player who has played from both sides, having been with RCB from 2009-13 and KKR in 2014-20. Other than him, three others have played for both franchises:
- Jacques Kallis
- Chris Gayle
- Umesh Yadav
To know more on TATA IPL fantasy cricket playing11, match previews, predictions, etc., stay tuned on Dream11
Indian T20 Fantasy Premier League