Everything You Need To Know About CPL t20
What is the Caribbean Premier League (CPL t20)?
Founded by Cricket West Indies in 2013, the CPL t20 is an annual cricket tournament held in the Caribbean that follows the T20 or Twenty20 format. The tournament managed to replace Caribbean Twenty20 to become the premier T20 tournament in the Caribbean. The tournament is primarily organised by Hero MotoCorp, consequently, it is officially recognised as Hero CPL t20.
Are you a big fan of Caribbean premier leagues? Play on Dream11 and feel the thrill as you make your own fantasy Cricket
History of CPL t20
T20 cricket first made its appearance in the West Indies in 2006 with the Stanford 20/20 tournament. Two years later, this privately organised competition was officially included in the West Indies Cricket Board calendar 2008.
The torch of T20 cricket was then carried by the newly formed Caribbean Twenty20 tournament organised by the WICB to replace the defunct Stanford 20/20.
In September 2012 the creation of a new Caribbean Twenty20 was announced by WICB. Other relevant organisations were also consulted such as the Federation of International Cricketers Association (FICA) and the West Indies Players Association (WIPA).
The first Caribbean Premier League was held from 29 July to 26 August 2013. The following tournaments have been held between June to August.
What is the format of CPL t20?
Six Caribbean premier league teams participate in the CPL t20 tournament in two stages: the playoffs stage and the knockout stage. In the Caribbean premier league schedule, each team participates in 10 matches in stage one. The second stage involves two semi-final bouts and a final that ends with the winner.
Who owns CPL t20 cricket?
The tournament is organised by Hero MotoCorp and the CPL teams belong to different sponsors.
- Barbados Royals: This team is owned by the IPL team Rajasthan Royals. The team is primarily owned by Manoj Badale of Emerging Media, Lachlan Murdoch of Nova Entertainment, and Redbird Capital Partners.
- Guyana Amazon Warriors: This CPL team is a franchise active in Guyana, Georgetown, and Providence.
- Jamaica Tallawahs: This team is based in Jamaica and the winners of CPL t20 2013 and 2016. This CPL team is owned by Kris Persaud and led by Rovamm Powell.
- St Kitts and Nevis Patriots: This franchise-based CPL team is based in St Kitts and Nevis. It is owned by Winning Willows Limited.
- Saint Lucia Kings: This CPL team is owned by the IPL team Punjab Kings. The ownership of the team is divided between Dabur (46%), PZNZ media (23%), Wadia Group (23%), Preity Zinta, and Apeejay Surrendra Group (8%).
- Trinbago Knight Riders: This franchise-based cpl team is owned by the IPL team Kolkata Knight Riders. Its ownership is divided among Red Chillies Entertainment (55%) and Mehta Group (45%).
Who were the previous winners of the CPL t20?
CPL t20 2013 was won by Jamaica Tallawahs with a score of 129/3 (17.3 overs).
CPL t20 2014 was won by Barbados Tridents with a score of 152/6 (20 overs) in the finals.
Trinidad and Tobago Red Steel won the CPL t20 2015 with a score of 178/5 (20 overs).
CPL t20 2016 saw Jamaica Tallawahs becoming the victors with a score of 95/1 (12.5 overs).
The Trinbago Knight Riders won CPL t20 2017 with a score of 136/7 (19 overs).
The same team won the CPL t20 2018 with a score of 150/2 (17.3 overs).
Barbados Tridents won the CPL t20 2019 tournament with a score of 171/6 (20 overs).
Trinbago Knight Riders won the CPL t20 2020 with a score of 157/2 (18.1 overs).
The 2021 CPL t20 final was won by St Kitts & Nevis Patriots with a score of 160/7 (20 overs).
Where is CPL t20 2022 going to be held?
The tenth instalment of CPL t20, that is CPL t20 2022 will be organised between August and September 2022 at Saint Kitts and Nevis.
Who is the sponsor for CPL t20?
Hero MotoCorp is likely to be the title sponsor of the CPL t20 2022 along with other partners and sponsors.
The 2021 instalment of the franchise-based tournament CPL t20 had Hero MotoCorp as its title sponsor. Official Partners & sponsors included Republic Bank, Digicel, El Dorado Rum, Angostura Chill, Visa, FedEx, Guardian Life, Unilever Lifebuoy, and OmegaXL. Some of these might also support the CPL t20 2022 competition.
Which are the teams who play in Hero CPL T20?
The Fantasy League has six Caribbean premier league teams that participate in the annual tournament.
- Barbados Royals (Tridents) led by Jason Holder.
- Guyana Amazon Warriors has Nicholas Pooran as its captain.
- Jamaica Tallawahs with Rovman Powell as its captain.
- St Kitts and Nevis Patriots led by captain Rayad Emrit.
- St Lucia Kings (Zouks) with Kieron Pollard as its captain.
- Trinbago Knight Riders is led by captain Kieron Pollard.
Key players to watch out for in CPL t20
Brandon King: He is most known for his performance in the CPL t20 2019 where he became the highest run-scorer with almost 500 runs in 12 matches. Guyana Amazon Warriors managed to rise into the top four of the 2021 Caribbean Premier League because of his impressive performance.
Jayden Seales: Known for being the youngest West Indian bowler that picked a Test five-fer, this Caribbean right-arm pacer shows unyielding potential. This bowler had already managed to pick 13 wickets in his debut test matches. He is playing for Trinbago Knight Riders in the CPL.
Who is doing Hero CPL T20 live streaming in India?
FanCode will be live streaming the Caribbean Premier League (CPL T20) 2022 tournament in India.
CPL t20 2022 forecast
Due to the past great performance of Trinbago Knight Riders, it would not be a stretch to expect great performance from the CPL team in the 2022 Hero CPL t20. However, Caribbean premier league teams such as Trinidad and Tobago Red Steel and Barbados Tridents pack a similar potential according to the past Caribbean premier league point table. The Caribbean Premier League of 2022 will be an exciting tournament that is likely to keep you on the edge of your seat throughout its 33 playoff matches and the finals!
To know more on Fantasy Cricket playing11, match previews, predictions, etc. Stay tuned on Dream11